Sunday 13 January 2019

Front end strip down

Removing the windscreen, sorting out the frame and then re-installing the windscreen has been a small victory. Although as a job it probably could have gone further down the list, but I think I am going to need as many small victories as I can get!!
Whilst getting the windscreen sorted I removed the wings. 
The first thing to do is to remove the lights and the front bumper. Along with the grill and the support bar.then unbolt the slam panel from the headlight supports.


Unfortunately once the front came apart I ended up with a really rusted front cross and rusted out in wings and out riggers.












The van has weld on type wings. 4 spot welds across the top of the wings, two on the inside of the door frame and three more down the side of the headlight opening. There should have been more across the wheel arch's but these are rusted through so once all the spot welds were drill the wings fell off.



The bits cut out so far

A quick search on ebay got me a new front crossmember. A little surface rust no rot and 15 minutes up the road. £100 lighter and here it is.


I will use this to keep the front end in line whilst I repair it.I'll paint it before it goes on for the final time.
I got the radiator supported using bungees and it is time to start the cut out and repair. Whilst you can by a lot of the panels the inner wings and the front end of the wheel arches aren't available so I'm going to have to wing it.



Starting on the passenger side I'm starting to remove the rust. You can see the fuel filter lifted out the way. It is a wonder it wasn't dragging on the floor


First thing is to cut back everything to good metal. The end of the chassis member has rusted off so I think this is the first repair.




The next thing to do is get some measurements for chassis to in wing and make a big hole.








The end of the chassis rail is now repaired so the next step is to replace the diagonal out rigger as there is only about 25% left ! I can then use the profile it forms to create a panel to fill in the area above the wheel. Then the bottom of the inner wig and wheel arch can be repaired.

1 comment: