Sunday 6 January 2019

Why have I bought a VW T4 ?!!

I have always avoided VW's. I guess it was the perceived expense, the fact that many of the older ones seemed unreliable. If there is a queue getting into a music festival it is usually due to a type 2 stuck at the side of the road like a beached whale.

I have built several camper vans of the years and have generally avoided the super expensive base options, the current van is an ex Royal Mail LDV convoy van. 

It does the job well and was quite cheap. As with all vans it need some welding. But nowhere near as much as a Transit would !! Running gear is Transit, but the driving experience is somewhat 1950's. Plus it is just that little big for a daily driver and won't quite get into a lot of  carparks being 2.22m tall and 2.22m wide.
Also I'm having a few problems with my joints so it isn't getting any easier to drive. 

The plan was to get something fairly modern and less old bus to drive. I had been looking at Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar vans, but I hadn't seen anything I liked really, especially not in budget. I had also considered a mk6 Transit, but didn't really fancy the welding....(we'll leave that thought hanging). The same with Vito's.

Anyway just before my 46th birthday I was mooching about on Ebay and this popped up.






A cheeky bid and I became the proud owner of a very early T4. 
It must be said with a little bit of bemusement from my wife. Anyway I arranged collection and off we toddled to fetch the van. Mot'd and road legal it all sounded to good to be true. Anyway we got there and Mrs A exclaimed, it's rusty. To which I replied it is cheap. (At this point I can add this thought to my one on welding).

The vehicle was described as well maintained but needing a little TLC as the body work was bubbling and past its best it is a 28 year old vehicle.
It runs and drives, but not to sure about the maintained side of things.
It needs a good service.
On the way home the clutch starting making a rubbing sound with vibration through the pedal when fully depressed, indicating clutch is on it's way out and the release bearing is rubbing.
So once I tackled the body work I was thinking new clutch, full service and cambelt for good measure.

So she is now home ready to start work....and has a name Biały.
Mrs A is Polish and she is almost white.




No comments:

Post a Comment