Sunday 20 January 2019

Left (nearside) front inner wing repair

I finally finished cutting out all the rust on the inner wing. Yay go me!!!
I test fitted the new front crossmember but couldn't get it to fit. I started to panic a little about my chassis member repair.Then I realised that the radiator kept getting in the way so I ended up dropping the coolant and pulling the radiator off.
Next step was to offer up the front crossmember then I could get the outrigger lined up properly. Again this didn't go according to plan. the shape of the light holder was slightly different. I can only assume the new crossmember is of a bolt on wing short nose.
To get me going I hammered it flat. Before it gets painted I'll have to cut the ones off the old one and weld them in place.

Once the cross member was clamp I could then line up the outrigger and tack it in place.
With tha done I could then work on filling up the hole. 
I don't have a access to a metal press so in order to get the shapes and the angles it was going to have to be the patch work quilt approach.
First thing fuel filter housing.




The biggest hole saw I had was 76mm the fuel filter is 80mm in diameter. So I had to work the hole with the power file to get it wide enough. Several belts later and there you go it fits.
Steady and sure wins the race !!!!!
I have been using cereal packet cardboard for the templates. I'm using a combination of new steel left over from a previous project and recycled car panels steel. Depends on the original thickness and my own thoughts on addition strength. The new steel is 1mm thick and the recycled 0.8mm.




Slowly but surely I building up the inner wing.
I kept clamping on the front crossmember and also the new outer wing to make sure nothing moved and everything lined up.


Ijust have the outer wheel arch lip to finish then it is done.
The weld looks a bit rough. I'm using flux core wire with my old Blue Clarke welder. Machine Mart special from more than a few years back. I'm also using old wire that has a bit of a white corrosion layer. I'm getting good penetration so its good and sound and with the flap wheel it will all clean up, but it is extra spattery and in some parts bird poo special.
Once the outer arch is finished, clean up primer, smooth over if needed with a little seam seal then paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment